ARE YOU A PR DINOSAUR?
All is not lost however, as there’s still time to avoid your personal ‘ice age’ and here are nine handy signs to spot a ‘PR Dinosaur’:
1. “Facebook? What’s that?” Yet to open a personal FB account and still has more friends in real life than on social media;
2. Still writes 1 000 word ‘press’ releases…In 2015, people are time precious – for example, it is estimated that website visitors average less than 15 seconds per page on a desktop (and it is even less time on mobile devices). This means outstanding (and short) copy, coupled with compelling imagery, are key components to capturing reader interest;
3. Still uses Pritt™ (for cutting and mounting clippings);
4. Doesn’t believe in the (growing) effectiveness of visual storytelling (e.g. video, infographics, interactive content - ePR);
5. Ignores influential bloggers when developing a ‘targeted’ campaign strategy;
6. Still refers to ‘through-the-line’ (an advertising term popular in the early ‘00s) when presenting client strategies, rather than integrated communications strategy;
7. Thinks SEO stands for Spam at Every Opportunity (it doesn’t). Search Engine Optimisation is key to making a client’s website relevant: amplifying content and securing valuable, natural backlinks that helps target audiences find information about a clients’ products and services online;
8. Obsessed with advertising value equivalents (AVEs) on media placements (unlike clients who require actual campaign measurables such as a spike in website traffic, more customer calls, increased share of voice etc.);
9. Still rocking a BlackBerry.